Introducting carrots for dessert! We can tell you we were very excited to discover Carrot Halwa, a traditional Northern Indian dessert. How fantastic to find another way to eat carrots – for dessert! Halwa is prepared and served at festivals, parties and celebrations. Sounds perfect to us. This recipe is Melanie Lionello’s version of Carrot Halwa, using Just Veg carrot shred which speeds up the preparation.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 pkt Just Veg Carrot Shred
- 2 cups milk
- ½ tsp all spice
- 1/3 cup rapadura sugar or 1/3 cup raw caster sugar
- 2 tbs raisins
- 2 tbs slivered almonds
- thickened cream to serve
- Place milk and carrot into a saucepan on medium heat, simmer for 30 mins until milk has almost evaporated stirring occasionally so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add all remaining ingredients and combine well, simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold with thickened cream.
You can tightly pack the halva into a ramekin and turn out onto a plate for serving. If you don’t like raisins you can leave them out, and you can of course tweak the recipe to your taste.