Caramelised carrot and mushroom risotto
A quick and tasty midweek meal that will fill hungry tummies and warm the soul.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 3 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 packet of Just Veg carrot sticks cut in small dice
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2 red chillies finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup swiss brown mushrooms
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- 1 litre chicken stock kept
- 1/4 cup of cream
- 1/4 cup pecorino cheese
- toasted just veg carrot shred for garnish
- Heat butter in a heavy Pan add sugar and stir until dissolved, add carrots and cook for 5 minutes until caramelized but still firm set aside.
- Add oil to pan, brown the onion garlic and chilli until transparent.
- Add all the rice and coat until golden brown.
- Add mushrooms and cook for further 5 minutes continue stirring so rice does not stick.
- Add wine and cook until evaporated.
- Add hot stock a ladle full at a time and continue to stir. Keep adding stock until all used and rice is cooked.
- Season eith salt and pepper and thyme, pour in the cream, stir then turn off heat and let stand for 5 minutes .
- Add the cheese and adjust seasoning.
- Sprinkle with toasted carrot shred and extra pecorino.
- To toast the carrot shred: spray with olive oil spray and grill under a hot grill until crunchy and toasted.
My nana taught me to make risotto when I was a young girl. Over the years I have experimented with different flavours and this is my family's favourite