Fish Tacos with Carrot Shred Slaw
Sharpen up your ‘Tuesday Night Tacos’ game with these fresh, deliciously simple, healthy and fast take on a family favourite. Thanks to Melanie Lionello, or you may know her as @naturally_nutritious on Instagram, for creating this super recipe – including an amazing Mexican-style spice mix that you can make ahead of time and keep with your spice rack for anything from taco seasoning to the base of chilli con carne, or even a nice way to jazz up guacamole for your next BBQ! Coming into Summer, this recipe for fish tacos below is a really fresh, healthy take on the traditional style of fish taco recipes out there. Loads of colour with purple cabbage and Just Veg carrot shred for the slaw and spicy fish pieces dressed with lime juice all wrapped up in a corn tortilla – just like a bought one!Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- ½ pkt Just Veg Carrot Shred
- 1 cup purple cabbage sliced finely
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Pinch of salt
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 tbs Mexican-style Seasoning see below for ingredients
- 1 tbs plain flour
- 500 g firm white fish cut in strips flathead, barramundi, blue grenadier or chicken
- Corn tortillas
- ¼ cup smoked paprika
- 2 tbs cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp cracked black pepper
- In a bowl, combine carrot, cabbage, lime juice, sour cream, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat a frypan on medium with olive oil.
- While it’s heating, combine Mexican-style Seasoning and flour in a bowl.
- Place each strip of fish into the seasoning to coat, then place into frypan. Repeat until all fish is coated and in the pan.
- Cook until fish is golden on each side. Approx 2-3 minutes each side.
- When just about ready to serve, heat tortillas in oven for 5 minutes, then serve with slaw, a couple of pieces of fish and jalapenos.
- Combine everything in a jar and shake. Use for taco seasoning, chilli con carne, guacamole seasoning or spicy carrot chips!
Not a fan of fish? No problem this recipe will work just as well with chicken. The Mexican-style spice mix is really easy to make up from the usual culprits in your spice rack and it keeps for ages in the cupboard. It’s also great to make up into little jars for Kris Kringle gifts or stocking fillers for any of your friends that are also passionate home cooks!