One-pot Veg Loaded Chilli Con Carne
An easy one-pot chilli con carne using a Mexican-style seasoning that is awesome for speedy week night dinners or work lunches. You can serve it with some steamed brown rice or quinoa or just enjoy alone. It’s also great to freeze to make your weeknight meals even speedier! Happy cooking! Thanks to Melanie Lionello, or you may know her as @naturally_nutritious on Instagram, for creating this super recipe – including an amazing Mexican-style spice mix that you can make ahead of time and keep with your spice rack for anything from taco seasoning to the base of this chilli con carne, or even a nice way to jazz up guacamole for your next BBQ!Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- ½ pkt Just Veg Carrot Shred
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion skin removed and finely diced
- 1 400 g can crushed tomatoes
- 1 400 g can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 400 g lean beef mince
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- ¼ cup Mexican-style seasoning see below
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste
- Avocado lime, coriander and chilli to serve.
- ¼ cup smoked paprika
- 2 tbs cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp cracked black pepper
- Heat heavy based saucepan on medium, add olive oil and onion. Saute for five minutes until onion begins to turn translucent.
- Add mince. Cook, breaking into smaller pieces, until browned.
- Add Mexican-style seasoning and saute for a minute until fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, beans, carrot, salt and tomato paste with half a can of water. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until water has evaporated and sauce is thick.
- Serve with toppings!
- Combine everything in a jar and shake. Use for taco seasoning, chilli con carne, guacamole seasoning or spicy carrot chips!
The Mexican-style spice mix is really easy to make up from the usual culprits in your spice rack and it keeps for ages in the cupboard. It’s also great to make up into little jars for Kris Kringle gifts or stocking fillers for any of your friends that are also passionate home cooks!