Spiced Carrot Hot Cross Buns
These Spiced Carrot Hot Cross Buns are the perfect way to celebrate Easter this year. And we’re sure the Easter Bunny would approve of his favourite snack – carrots – being incorporated into this traditional Easter treat. If you’ve always wanted to try making hot cross buns for yourself, this is the recipe of you. The fabulous Melanie Lionello whipped this recipe up for us, and it’s a real winner.Print Recipe Pin Recipe
- 17 g dried yeast
- 1 1/4 cups milk warmed
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 4 cups ‘00’ flour or plain flour
- 3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 60 g butter
- 1 heaped cup Just Veg Carrot Shred
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup self-raising flour
- peach or apricot jam for brushing cooked buns
- Whisk together yeast, milk, butter and caster sugar until the sugar dissolves and butter is melted. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Place flour, cinnamon, mixed spice and salt into the bowl of a stand mixer.. Add carrot shred, eggs and yeast mixture. ‘Knead’ mixture with a dough hook in the stand mixer for 5 mins.
- Place dough in a large greased bowl and cover with cling wrap. Leave in a warm place for 45-60 mins or until doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough and turn out onto floured surface. Knead quickly into a large ball then cut into 9-12 pieces (depends how large you want the buns to be). Roughly shape the pieces into smooth balls then place onto a lined baking tray. Rest for 15 mins.
- In the meantime, preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced.
- Combine self-raising flour and 1/4 cup water. Pipe crosses onto the buns. Bake for 25 minutes. Brush buns while they are fresh from the oven with jam.